A few weeks back, Irene over at misplacedmysassy nominated me for my first blog award, and I’m just now getting around to accepting it. I don’t really understand the blog world well enough to know what it means, beyond that people are reading my blog and not hating it – which is flattering enough in itself, so thanks! I’ve been terrible about updating this summer because I’ve been relocating to NYC and trying to find jobs and places to live and the like, but I hope my life will settle down soon and I can get back to providing you with my complaints and criticisms to read 😉
Apparently we have to complete a lists of tasks upon acceptance:
1. Display the Award Certificate on your website/blog.
2. Announce your win with a post. Make sure to post a link back to me as a ‘thank you’ for the nomination.
3. Present up to 15 awards to deserving bloggers.
4. Drop them a comment to tip them off after you have linked them in the post.
5. Post 7 interesting things about yourself.
So here it goes! I don’t know what exactly counts as “interesting”, but here are 7 facts about me of some sort:
1. I think my favorite thing to do in NYC is to sit aimlessly on a near-empty subway reading a book. Doing this was more solidly my favorite thing before I learned that putting your feet up on the subway seats gets you a ticket.
2. My patronus/spirit animal is an Indian street dog. (I’m pretty proud of this.)
3. Bombay is my favorite city in the world; it has everything I like about America and everything I like about India all in one place. It also is one of those cities I just ‘clicked’ with; sometimes the second you set foot in a place you know it’s right, and Bombay did that for me. I literally would drop everything and be on the next flight there if someone gave me any legitimate reason to do so (i.e. a job).
4. My Myers-Briggs type is INFP. Like the Indian street dog, it’s a pretty perfect description of me.
5. I really dislike wearing shoes. Sometimes I wear heels just so I have a semi-valid excuse to walk around barefoot halfway through the day. I also hate pants, but I wear those still.
6. I don’t really have a ‘favorite food’; instead I have a few restaurants which have given me the greatest overall dining experiences of my life: Little Pigs BBQ in Columbia, SC; Gokul Snacks & Sweets in Saint Louis; Bombay Spice & Grill in Chicago; and Sancho’s in Bombay.
7. I love traveling but I’m the world’s worst tourist, like the guy from In Bruges but I don’t have the guilt of murdering someone as an excuse. Forts and museums? No way. A tiny alleyway that was once in an obscure Bollywood film? I’ll definitely hit that up.
Now, to pass it on. These are all blogs that I think deserve a special shout-out, mostly because I read them regularly and anything that keeps me entertained is deserving of a special mention. A lot of these are blogs I appreciate because they do something I can’t do, in some way, and I really admire that. I’m also going to cap this at 5, just because if I go too crazy every blog I follow will be on here. The “three” in the “Bouquet of Three” are Best Moment, Sunshine, and Versatile Blogger; I think all of you are deserving of each of them. None of you have to feel pressure to accept; just know that I appreciate you and your writing!
– Awake Black Woman – ABW is one of my favorite blogs on WordPress, because she writes about the POC/WOC experience in a way that is meant to inform, not simply vent or lecture. She is very encouraging of conversation on her blog, and you can just generally tell that even though she is talking about some BIG topics at times, she respects all sides of a conversation and really just wants to share her’s so that those who haven’t heard it can do so.
– The Lady With Questions – This blog is definitely deserving of the “Versatile Blogger” part of the Bouquet; she covers all possible topics from fashion to current events to film. She is really trying to create a dialogue on her blog that covers all aspects of her two homes in India and America [and beyond], and is doing a great job at it. (Read my guest post for her here!)
– Teach and Create – This is definitely my favorite blog to read regarding teaching and education. She is always posting creative ideas for the classroom that are useful for anyone working in any area of education – even just a parent or babysitter could use many of these ideas to add an educational twist to their daily routine.
– Ululani Healing – Ululani Healing is like the antithesis to this blog. Mie is like the pinnacle of optimism and the definition of what I presume the “Sunshine Award” part of this Bouquet is targeting. I am always inspired by her posts and stories, and as someone who literally started a blog on the basis of her eternal pessimism, I’m really grateful for such warmth on my feed from time to time 🙂
– Top-Bunk Philosopher – This is a bit biased, as I know Patricia in real life, but I’ve always been a fan of her writing, even before I was on WordPress myself. She has chronicled so many of her amazing travel experiences and I am so glad to have been able to see so much of the world with her through her blog, and to revisit India by revisiting her posts (especially when they’re about places I actually was at myself!) Her writing style is just so different from mine and every time I read her writing I am in awe, so there’s no way she doesn’t deserve to be on this list.